Make time for the classes you want to take

By: Eleanor Miller
With all the prerequisites and graduation requirements UW students have, it can be easy to forget that you are in control of your schedule and that means what classes to take and when to take them. Think outside the box! Take classes that are of personal interest to you or a fun elective within your major, in addition to those that are required. My first year at Madison I decided to take a class that sounded interesting in the history of science department.  As a science major, it was very different than all my math and science classes but it ended up being one of my favorite classes of the semester! The class turned into a project called The History of Wisconsin in 100 Objects and consisted of a lot of archival research on one object from Wisconsin’s history. Three semesters later, I am still working with my professor on the project and my research is being broadcast on Wisconsin Public Radio! I never thought I would get so much out of it and it has helped me grow as a student and a person. I really suggest talking with an advisor at SOAR or in your major to see what classes you need to take and then fill up the rest of schedule with classes that sound fun or interesting to you because, believe me, going to class and doing homework becomes much more relatable and enjoyable when the subject material engages you. On the CALS website there are 4 year plan sheets detailing classes and requirements needed for each major and you can start exploring what classes you would like to take now! This university has a lot to teach about a wide variety of topics. I implore you to widen your scope and take advantage of that!