Share your CALS experience
With over 3,200 undergraduate students in 24 majors, top-notch researchers, an engaged student body, and so much more, it’s no doubt that the College of Agricultural & Life Sciences is a special place for current students and alumni alike.
As a CALS Ambassador, you can help take the CALS brand to the corners of our state and beyond. With financial support from WALSAA, the college’s alumni association, CALS Ambassadors volunteer to assist with a variety of outreach functions including meeting with prospective students and families, representing CALS at college fairs and industry events, and interacting with alumni. Along the way, you’ll have a chance to make connections that will last beyond your time at UW.
Requirements of Ambassadors
- Attend Ambassador training and orientation activities | Dates TBD, typically the week before classes start
- Volunteer at WALSAA Fire-Up Event | September 2017 football game; times/date TBA
- Lead tours at CALS Visit Days | Attend 1 of 2 per semester
- Attend monthly meeting | Typically the 3rd Thursday of the month, final date will be set at orientation meeting
- Attend calling nights | 1-2 per semester, dates set by the group
- Host CALS booth at various events, as available | World Dairy Expo in Madison; National FFA Convention, others TBD
- Serve on a standing committee
- Participate in outreach efforts to high school students as required by the Operation Contact Committee
- Be available to give campus tours
- Assist with CALS college events as available
- Represent CALS in a professional manner at all functions
Opportunities for Ambassadors
- Develop valuable connections in industry through alumni interaction
- Help students and families explore UW-Madison
- Interact with other student leaders in CALS
- Improve communication and public speaking skills
- Be a full-time UW-Madison student enrolled in CALS having completed at least 2 semesters (soph.)
- Have and maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Agree to the Ambassador attendance policy outlined below:
- Ambassadors must attend all meetings as well as events and tours for which they have volunteered
- If an Ambassador must miss a meeting, the secretary must be notified 24 hours in advance
- If an Ambassador can no longer attend a tour or other event, the secretary, advisor, and event organizer must be contacted as soon as possible, minimally 24 hours in advance
- Failure to meet these requirements or fulfill other Ambassador obligations will results in review by the officer board with possible removal from the Ambassador team
The selection committee will consider each applicant on an individual basis. Record of past leadership, public speaking ability, diversity of experiences, and more will be considered. University email will be the official mode of communication utilized throughout the selection process.
- Complete the application survey via qualtrics & attach a current resume or curriculum vitae
- Submit all materials by March 17th, 2017
- If you have any questions please contact:
116 Ag Hall, 1450 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI 53706
- Selected applicants will be asked to attend a brief on-campus interview with the selection committee in April 2017.